I have been working with a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner since April of this year. Casey Tom is known for helping her clients, like me, heal their gut by reducing the stress in their lives. I have made such phenomenal progress since then that it actually amazes me at what the body is capable of achieving!
Today, I was sitting and thinking about what is required for one to completely change their lives so they can heal their body? Casey has worked with clients in over 22 countries and been a part of over 5000 cases… so I know people DO change…but how do they actually make the commitment to do it? How do they stay motivated when things get tough?
For myself, it wasn’t until I went through all the certifications I use now with my clients that my motivation actually turned into long-term action. You can read in other posts about EFT and NLP and the conscious work I do with the unconscious part of the brain, but for now, I want to focus on motivation.
I think of our motivation just like I do our willpower. Motivation is the driver for us to change. We must WANT to do whatever it is! Willpower is really that part of our brain at the very tip of our consciousness that gets us committing to something bigger, but it cannot sustain us. We need our belief in ourselves and what we are doing to have the motivation that will continue to carry us when things get hard.
Casey told me that 90% of us will never finish what we start because things get hard. She also has told me so many times, “You are not in the dress rehearsal of your life.” This is it! The more we wait, the more we waste opportunities, experiences, and so much happiness that comes from achieving our goals.
So, it is important that we STAY motivated, so we can stay the main player in our life. We want to be center stage, experiencing life to the fullest, not part of that 90% that doesn’t even make it there. WOW! Is anyone else fascinated by this except for me?
Why Is Motivation Important?
Motivation is the driving force behind life-enhancing change. Again, it is that willpower to actually get something you really want. Motivation comes from knowing exactly what you want to do and having an insatiable, burning desire to do what’s necessary to get it. It keeps your dream on track as it is the power of motivation that keeps you going when the going gets tough. I believe that motivation extends beyond willpower and is what will carry you to the finish line.
Ready to see your goal all the way through? Ready to show up for your life again?
Here are my top 5 tips to help you supercharge your motivation:
- VISION BOARD. I first learned how to do a vision board from Kirk Duncan and it is the best visual I have found to support my motivation. I suggest choosing a few things that you really want, and using both pictures and words, put them on a board. You do not want them overlapping, but next to each other. My vision board has nine items on it and it is at eye level. I keep it in my bathroom and look at it every morning and evening. When you look at it, study each image and the words and tell yourself: I want this now and create the feelings in your body of what it will be like when you have it. Your brain really does want to support you and wants to recreate those positive feelings. You can see a copy of mine down below and check out Kirk’s training here:
- GET ANGRY. If you want to change your life for the better, then allow yourself to get angry about where you’re at now. Having a blasé attitude towards change isn’t what’s needed, and it won’t create a strong desire within you. When I work with a client through a full NLP timeline therapy technique’s breakthrough, anger is the FIRST emotion we work on releasing so that we can experience all the other emotions.
So sit and ask yourself: “Why do I want to change?” With a journal, write down ALL the reasons you want to create this change in your life. Are you SICK AND TIRED of doing the same thing week in week out? Are you BORED BEYOND BELIEF by the dull, uninspiring, unhappy people you associate with? Are you EXHAUSTED by the EXHAUSTION in your life and in your body? THEN GET ANGRY ABOUT IT. And I mean REAL ANGRY. Write it all down, all of the frustrating, unrewarding, miserable things about staying STUCK.
Once you are done with your journaling, I want you to look at each one and ask yourself this same question for each item on the list: WHAT IS THERE TO LEARN FROM (insert the thing you hate about being suck) SO THAT I CAN MOVE FORWARD AND LET THIS GO?
Write down your learnings and then rip everything up and burn it! Have a celebration dance party (even a party for 1 is ENOUGH) and tell yourself you are ready to move forward.
- BRAIN DUMP. Time is one of the most precious resources we have, and it is also a NON-RENEWABLE resource. You can either use it fully or squander it. If you want to create change, you’re going to have to invest a lot of time to make it happen. If our brain is constantly managing a never-ending to-do list, it is hard to focus on the things that will help us reach our goals. It can feel like our life is literally running in circles.
Get your brain on your side by taking time each morning to sit down and BRAIN DUMP. Using a blank piece of paper, and without other distractions, write down everything on your mind. This can be people you need to call, work that needs to get done, errands you need to run and also just negative thoughts that are in your way. Write it all down and then go through each item and figure out what to do with it. Schedule the items that can be done later, do the things that day that need to get done, and for each negative thought replace it with a positive one that supports you moving forward.
Example: I am not good enough to do this. Replace with: I am choosing to______________________, because when I do, I feel______________________.
You can use this sentence for most negative beliefs or thoughts. When we rewrite them, we are allowing our brain to get on our side. As we experience more peace and wholeness in our thoughts with our conscious and unconscious brain, we actually move closer to what we actually want! This is such a beautiful process to experience.
It is amazing to see what happens in our life when we regularly practice something as simple as a BRAIN DUMP and what it does to free up energy which ultimately gives us more time.
One of my most favorite quotes comes from The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks. He writes, “I am where time comes from.”
Exercises like a brain dump can support us taking back ownership of our time.
- EFT TAPPING. Most of my blog posts talk about this amazing technique. If you do not know what tapping is, please review and you can also access my FREE mini tapping course on the homepage here. Tapping is also known as psychological acupuncture. By tapping on certain pressure points, we can change our current emotional state in as little as 60 seconds. I recommend tapping twice a day when you are first starting out. You can experience massive shifts in your energy and your mindset as you calm the body. When we are calmer, we can see the bigger picture easier, focus on what we need to do to move forward, and make decisions that are less emotional.
- TAKE ACTION. Now is the time to actually DO the things that will support you in getting what you want! Tony Robbins has said, “The only impossible journey is the one you never begin.” It is time to take your life back by owning that leading role in your own life. Start small by implementing 1-2 things per week that will support you in getting what you want. Use these steps here to help support you in accomplishing those 1-2 things. As they become more like habits, then you can add in something else! This is how we create lasting change and continue moving forward in our lives. There is nothing more beautiful, in my opinion than watching someone reach a goal!
The world is waiting for your unique gifts. You are powerful beyond measure. It’s time to supercharge your motivation and achieve what you set your mind to! What are you waiting for?